Click the arrow to go up a level to the directory for the Posting Pages.
|Follow the above link or click the graphic below to visit the Homepage.|
|Cullen Genealogy Posts|
Co Limerick, Ireland
Click here to make a posting for Co Limerick, Ireland via e-mail
My 3rd Great Grand Father, John Cullen, was born in Limerick, Ireland in 1839. He ended up in San Francisco, California, USA in 1861, and joined the Army during the American Civil War. He was stationed in Salt Lake City, Utah, USA where he got married, and had 2 Sons. In 1869, John died early in his life in Hamilton, Nevada, USA. His Wife Re-Married and took on the name Toponce. So starting with their oldest Son, down to my Father, they have kept the Cullen name, alongside the Toponce Name.
I am trying to find John's Parents, and their true names. Both his Father and Mother were also born in Limerick. His Father's possible name was John, (Maybe) and he was born in 1813. And his Mother's name was Mary Jane, (Maybe) and she was born in 1817. However, there is no record of her maiden name that we could find. I am really needing help connecting the dots and to continue with the Cullen line on our side of the Family. Thank you so much for your help and attention to this email.
Hi. I'm trying to find out some information on my grandfathers cousin James or John Cullen of Waverley St. Upper Darling Philidelphia in 1930 can you help. He was from Co Donegal.
May I ask who this is looking for James C. Cullen and Hanora Crowe? They are my great grandparents also. I just returned from West Stockbridge yesterday and was trying to locate the general store that grandpa owned. My mother was Mary Carey, daughter of James Edward Cullen and Madeline Fitzgerald. Please reply, perhaps we can look into this together.
Looking for more information about the "Cullen's" of Limerick City - 1840-1870. My great grandfather, John Cullen married Ellen Walsh in Mungret Parish about 1840.
I'm looking for the ancestors of my grandfather, James C. Cullen, of West Stockbridge, Massachusetts. James C. and Honora Cullen are my immigrant ancestors. Note that Stockbridge and West Stockbridge are two distinct and separate Towns. In the early 1800's, West Stockbridge appears to have been a miners settlement. My grandparents are buried in St. Patrick's Cemetery, West Stockbridge:
- James C. Cullen (grandfather): b.1845 or 1848 d.1920 m. 18Jun1868. A Blacksmith in the late 1800's in West Stockbridge. He or his wife's family (Crowe) were said to have owned a farm, in the late 1800's, in New Lebanon, NY, east of Albany, on the border with Massachusetts. Cullen relatives owned the farm until at least 1936. Family given names are John, James, Daniel, Thomas, Patrick. This side of the Cullen family had some members who spent time in New Lebanon, New York. An obiturary notice states that James C. Cullen was born in Co Limerick and family tradition states that he may have been from Co Cork. It is known that James' father's name was also James. Other children were (James C. was the first born): Patrick, Thomas, Michael, John , Mary and Margaret.
- Honora Crowe (grandmother): b.1845 d. 1936. The obituary of Honora Crowe states that the pallbearers were six "Cullen" nephews, named Jean, John, Donald, James, Harold and William. There may also have been another nephew Edward. The obituary also states that Honora was born in Co Tipperary and, according to the present family, she may have lived in Co Galway at one point. Honora had brothers and sisters (Honora was the second born): Mary, Julie, Margaret, Alice, Walter, Michael, John, and Daniel.
Others Cullens buried in West Stockbridge, Massachusetts:
- John C. Cullen "son of James Cullen": b. 30Jan1863 d. 16Sep1891 , "28 years, 9 months, 16 days". John is possibly a younger brother of the above James C. Cullen.
- Patrick Sarsfield Cullen: b.1835 d. 1911. Research indicates that Patrick is the older brother of James C. Cullen above.
- Patrick's wife, Ellen: b.1844 d. 1910.
Another group of Cullens, assumed to be related to the above , are buried at St. Joseph's Cemetery, Pittsfield, Massachusetts:
- Patrick Cullen: d. 22Nov1867 at "40 years old" (born then abt. 1827).
- Mary Ann Cougan: (assumed to be Patrick's wife) d. 30Apr1863, "31 years old"
- Margaret Laine Claffey: b. 2Jan1840 d. 27Jun1912 (buried with Patrick, too
young to be his daughter. ?????).
- Catherine Cullen: "wife of Michael Cullen" d. 6Jan1880, "65 years".
- Sarah C. Cullen: d. 10Apr1858, "1 year".
- Edward P. Cullen: d. 20Jan1861, "1 year".
- Margaret T, Cullen: d. 30Apr1863, "6 months".
- William J. Cullen: d. 7Jan1852, "6 months".
- Mary E. Cullen: d. 7Jun1858, "2 years".
- Eddy Cullen: d. 12Mar1873, "12 years".
- John C. Cullen: b.16Jan1853 d. 29Apr1920. Possibly a brother to James C. Cullen who is buried in Stockbridge, Mass.
I would very much like to find out the ancestry of James C. Cullen (1848-1920), Blacksmith from West Stockbridge, Massachusetts. Any hints or information would be very much appreciated!
My grandfather Was James Cullen. He was from Philadelphia and his father, James, was from Ireland. I do not know what county, but his wife, Catherine was from Newcastle West, County Limerick.
Use your Back Button or click here to go to the Main Posting Page